[geeks] IBM Z series servers

Gil Young geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 27 14:15:15 CDT 2001

Seems IBM has a relatively new type of server based on their 390 platforms
(any opinions on that platform?) called the Z series servers.  Anyone have
any wisdom to impart on the history and/or opinions of what the heck this
system is?  I cant seem to find any technical hardware details about the
system, like what CPU's are used, etc...  All I can read so far is "this is
your solution" fluff.  e.g. 2400 virtual linux instances (for only $500
each!) in one rack, etc..  But it doesnt say how "dawg sloe" it will be if
all 2400 are live and active and trying to process, etc...  Seems like a
good solution for small to mid-size web farms, or other lighter duty
systems.  Here is the link, thanks for all your input, etc:

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/\

Thanks!

Gil Young
Call Sign: KG4KVX