[geeks] PROFILES!

James Fogg geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 11:15:15 CDT 2001

I didn't read all of the profiles (gee, I think proceeding on that basis makes
me a candidate for several of them!), but for the technoforums I think we need
one more profile, the religious warrior.

The typical religious warrior is a young and moderately skillfull technologist
of (usually) narrow experience who doggedly advances the cause of a particular
operating system or platform regardless of its intended application or
suitability for the task. With roots deep in the psychy of the
Rebel-Without-a-Clue and the Propeller-Head, his furvor and long list of deep
convictions leads him on a gihad or ethnic cleansing. By aligning with the
Sycophant, Duelist, Blowhard, L'Enfant Provocateur and Profundus Maximus of
technical forums they are able to produce so much noise that they easilly
overwhelm weaker participants and feed the flames of debate that tire the other
warriors (leaving them easy prey for attacks from other sources). Drawing on
copious, but usually weak, supporting arguments they stand tall on unproven or
incomplete data to make their case. The basis of the religious warrior is a
deep desire to appear "cool" and "smart", and they point out that because they
have "mastered" the new and different (or old and obscure) they are somehow
better than others in their field. When pushed, their "mastery" often shows
weakness.

Anyone care to create an illustration?

Disclaimer: This profile is in no way intended to focus on any one operating
system or platform. Any simularity to the Linux/BSD movement is purely
accidental, unfortunate and almost assured.

	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com

If you can read this e-mail, Thank a Network Engineer!