KDE (was RE: [geeks] IRC)

Chad A. Chance geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 22 07:59:53 CDT 2001

If it take more than 60 seconds to load then it must be bloated, and it
really does take longer than a minute to load. Of course I'm not on a real
recent machine(dual SM61 SS20) so some of that is expected. All the
dependencies drive me insane, it's almost like dll hell.

The preview release that SUN has up refuses to work on my box at all, so I
am refering to the version that I cobbled togethor, of which I don't know
the version number and to lazy to find out right now. Actually looking back
over my quoted e-mail down there, I really didn't mean to emphasize the
bloated part like that, that should have been switched with the unstable
part...

Until I get an Ultra class machine and/or Gnome becomes official, I think I
will go back to Afterstep. I don't really need all that fancy stuff anyways,
the only reason I started investigating other window managers is because it
looks like SUN is going to drop OpenWindows. OW was all I used until Solaris
8 came out but that little warning message when you first start up OW after
a fresh install made me sad :-(

Chad