[geeks] Re: [rescue] RE: Small schools...

Jonathan Katz geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 16:49:00 CDT 2001

Stefan asked:
> And here in Sweden at least the good-no good decision is based on
> the cars age ie cars from before 1988 doesn't need to meet the same
> emissions req as a post 1989 car and so on.

California has some weird rules. Most places have decided
pre-1973 cars are exempt. Most cars are judged against criteria
established for the years they were produced. A 1980s car isn't
expected to meet 1990s criteria, and 1990s cars aren't expected
to meet 2001 criteria. The logic is you shouldn't have to retrofit
your car, but with proper maintainance and keeping your car
relatively stock you should be able to keep your 1980s car meeting
1980s emmissions criteria.

California does assess a smog impact penalty based on the age of
your car. They had to get rid of the penalty for bringing new cars
into the state of Cali, though. I even got a $300 refund check from
them a year ago because I had to pay $300 in penalties just because
I moved there and brought my Mustang with me.

> IE a new car like my fathers new Volvo V70 should still follow the 2001
> emission requirements in 2016 which is easy if the car is maintained and
> not driven on leaded fuel which is now pretty impossible in Europe.

*nod* exactly.

> Sweden's decision to drop leaded fuel 1988 has made improvements in our
> wildlife.

The US' decision to drop leaded fuel in the 60s wrecked many a good
Chevy small-block :~(

-Jon