[geeks] RE: In the kitchen, Barefoot and *wireless*...

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 08:26:32 CDT 2001

Hee-Hee!

Laptops that compare to network appliances are very inexpensive (three years old).

An older PII/266 Tecra 8000 can be gotten for around $500 +/-, and can be carried around the house as needed/desired. A Gateway appliance has a crappy screen (DSTN, not TFT), a non-x86 CPU, and a custom OS for the same $500.

I-Openers can be gotten for about $150, but after you rub another $50 for more memory, crack the case and upgrade the CPU for another $50 or $100, you are still stuck with a crappy DSTN screen and it needs to be tethered to your network/power.

The laptop can be wireless and run off batteries for ultimate flexibility.

You can try out the concept with an old P/133 laptop for about $100 - $150...

Ken