[geeks] Re: [rescue] RE: Absolutely nothing to do with 'Small schools.& elections'

Joshua D. Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 15:18:38 CDT 2001

OK, I'm with you so far (and your are acurate according to my much more
recent taking of Computational Models).

So, we can have a display that indicates the state.  However, the display
on my notebook if front of me doesn't tell me the internal state of
the machine.  Likewise, I have an eithernet device, and it's output
doesn't indicate the state of my machine.

So, the problem at hand is:  Is it possible to remain true to the Turing
machine while having a display and ethernet.  Now, we could map the
display and ethernet packat buffer to the tape, and create some states
that do things like update the display to the new display buffer, or send
the current packet buffer.

The problem is that the turing machine doesn't have direct memory
indexing.  All it knows is that it can move back a byte or forward a byte,
and that presumably there are infinite bytes in either direction.

So, how would be know where how to find the display and packet buffers?

On a like note, in string lamda calculus, is there a solution to this
problem?  Just represent the display as a really long list passed as part
of a variable?

I know what lamda calculus is, but it wasn't covered at all in school, so
I know very little about it.

--
Joshua Boyd