[geeks] costco

Dan Debertin geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 08:18:41 CDT 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Trevor Taylor wrote:

> (BGP) Border Gateway Protocol
> It would allow you to run a web server in a DMZ and if one internet
> connections dropped the incoming connections would reroute thru the other
> net connection to reach the web server.

That's a limited definition based on what it might mean to a small
enterprise, yes. BGP is more generically described as a routing protocol
-- like OSPF, RIP, etc., except quite different -- that routers use to
exchange prefixes (routes) and prevent routing loops. Loop prevention is
accomplished by tracking not only routes, but where routes were heard
from. It therefore becomes possible to track the source of a route all the
way back to its origin.

Chances are, you'll never have to deal with the beast that is BGP unless
you a) work at an ISP (like me), or b) just enjoy playing with network
stuff (again, like me).

Now, back to my NetBSD-current build (grrrrr...).

Dan
--
Dan Debertin
airboss at nodewarrior.org