[geeks] Re: [rescue] RE: Small schools...

Rob geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 19 13:27:36 CDT 2001

> One final thought - I don't think a college can be absolved of any blame by
> *ignoring* the presence of liquor on campus, just as they can't ignore
> firearms. Most schools have strict policies on firearms (i.e. not allowed on
> campus) despite constitutional rights. No one argues that I chouls be able
> to walk around with a sidearm on campus (if you need one for protection, it
> is time to transfer!). Well, maybe not in Texas ;^)
>
> People know, understand and appreciate these policies when they go to these
> schools. This is viewed as a good thing by all involved.
>
> Ken

The firearms issue generally doesn't come into play for protection
reasons. A number of my classmates wanted a rifle club at the college. No
dice. The only exception that was made regarding firearms while I was
there was an active duty MP attending classes. The pistol was allowed on
campus property in the dorms with the firing pin removed.

All those who wanted the rifle club moved off campus and started a private
get together...

- Rob