[geeks] Re: [rescue] RE: Small schools...

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 19 09:20:07 CDT 2001

Here is where my ideas/thoughts on this matter arise:

I went to a religious prep school that was half boarders. I had a
conversation with the Dean of Students (Vice Principal equivalent) about
liquor, and he said the following, which I always felt was the reasonable
stance:

    If I walk into a dorm room and see beer posters on the wall, a sloppy
room, and
    a student passed-out in bed with three beer cans by their side, I view
that one way.

    If I walk into a dorm room, and I see a clean room and a student sitting
at his desk
    quietly drinking a glass of red wine, I view that another way.

    The first student would probably be bounced out of the school - the
second would
    probably get suspended for a few days.

But this was before they had a stated "zero tolerance" policy.

Laws and policy are very hard to draft, if you completely reomve the ability
for a *person* to apply some judgement to the situation. In the high school
example, the Dean of Students had wide leeway to enforce the rules. When we
spoke about college policies, there were other individuals that were part of
the enforcement that would apply equal discretion as to the proper
punishment.

Also, remember - this is (typically) an under age student (< 21 yrs. old),
living in a dorm room on a college campus. Go off campus and you only have
the law to deal with. In every case (I assume) the colleges are proud of
their policies, and the parents that send their children to these schools
agree with the policies. Older students are expected to make their own
decisions.

Also, we are also talking about schools *much* smaller than any state
college, typically just several hundred students.

One final thought - I don't think a college can be absolved of any blame by
*ignoring* the presence of liquor on campus, just as they can't ignore
firearms. Most schools have strict policies on firearms (i.e. not allowed on
campus) despite constitutional rights. No one argues that I chouls be able
to walk around with a sidearm on campus (if you need one for protection, it
is time to transfer!). Well, maybe not in Texas ;^)

People know, understand and appreciate these policies when they go to these
schools. This is viewed as a good thing by all involved.

Ken