[geeks] Appliance Mods

Joshua D. Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jun 18 11:20:34 CDT 2001

I think this model decodes all the various suround sound stuff on its
digital out.  At least, I know it does Dolby 5.1 according to the manual.
I don't know about the other things.

Originally, I had a P2 next to the TV with a SB Live 5.1 card setup for
quadraphonic.  I then switched that machine with a P166 with only plain
stereo (The SB Live had to stay with the P2 because it was the only
soundcard I owned at the time that didn't cause the machine to
spontaneously crash). Then the DVD-Rom in the P166 got fried, and the
replacement I bought just didn't work acceptably (it paused at chapter
changes, and frequently authentication failed with the new drive), so I
said screw this and bought the Apex.

I still have the quadraphonic amp and speakers set up (and in use).  What
I need is a cheap external suround processor that is willing to do either
Dolby Suround (the original 3 chanel kind) or quadraphonic.  Either that,
or I need to replace my quadraphonic amp with a more modern amp capable of
doing it's own surround sound processing.

As to video, you probably are correct.  However, who is going to buy an
HDTV set and then compromise it with a DVD player that can't at least do
progressive scan or component out?

I wasn't all that thrilled about upgrading to a 27" TV until I hooked the
DVD player up to the Svideo in and played a wide screen movie.  The
difference that the svideo makes is amazing, and the bigger screen didn't
excite me for TV, but for widescreenm movies it is so nice.

--
Joshua Boyd