[geeks] Guitar callouses

John Duksta geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 8 06:57:32 CDT 2001

At 08:05 AM 6/7/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>Anyone from the group want to give some pointers out on a good way to
>start with a bass? Which is cheaper, electric or acoustic?
>
>Personally, I like the idea of a five-string, but I don't have the $800
>for it... and I'm left handed.... (really considering playing right handed
>just so Dad can play with it... he sold his years ago.)

Normally I would say that it would be cheaper to go the electic route,
but upon checking Guitar Center's online site Musician.com, I see that
you can pick up an Ibanez electric/acoustic 4-string (right handed) for
$484, which is about what you would expect to spend on a cheap electic
bass and a small practice amp.

(John goes and looks at the site again...) OK, it's still cheaper to
go electric, as you can get a Squire P-Bass with a 15 amp practice
amp for $299.

Looks like the left-handed gear is a little more expensive, but not
by much. It does look like if you want to go acoustic, you'll probably
have to special order a lefty bass.

HTH,

-john