[geeks] layoffs and startups

Jonathan Katz geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 31 14:43:14 CDT 2001

Koyote once wrote:
> What if one wanted to start a colo/service hosting/webdesign isp service?

Why didn't I think of that 6 years ago? :^)

> Using older equipment (ss1000e's, sc2000's, u150's, and I could probably
> do an e3k, and ssa's), I actually have enough cpu power and storage space
> to do it, but....

I had a business plan I was putting together for something "similar."
The problem is sun4d hardware will no longer be supported in the reasonably
near future. I'd volunteer my basement as a datacenter, though.

The other "geek trick" is bandwidth co-ops. Everyone chips in $n/month and
gets decent service, and we keep an eye on one another's systems. It's how
TLG started IIRC. For $1000/mo You can co-locate at PIX and peer for free,
then run a long-haul T1 or fractional T3 via a PVC to a central point, and
then do free/cheap DSL across alarm circuits to a local point. The PVC
costs abour $1000-$5000/mo and each alarm circuit $25/mo. Divide that among
100 or so people (and you have a 10MBit or 100MBit link at pix) and it
works out decently. I haven't crunched the numbers in a while, though.

> Being in the midst of layoff land, the money isn't there.

*nod* I've seen that happen.

> Add to THAT, I'm an economic democrat and want to go in with people, not
> hire them. (and I know admins, webdesign people, coders who are all out
> of work)

work for free, "here's some stock, which may or may not be worthless..."

-Jon