[geeks] WTB: digital camera

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 31 10:35:33 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 11:17:46AM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 10:54:21AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
> >
> > combination of the two.  While the idea of a 35mm CCD is appealing (ooh,
> > 10k res. pics. drool), they either can't be made, or if they could be,
> > they are too expensive and hard to make.  I mean, how many 35mm chips have
> > you seen in recent years?  35mm is larger than a pentium, P2, 286, etc.
>
> my sister went to RIT for photography.  they had a digital back to one of them
> funny camers you look down into from the top.  like $15,000 camera or something.
> anyway, the digital back that it had was one giant CCD.  maybe the tile multiple
> CCDs, i'm not real sure, but the digital back cost $45,000 so it coulda been
> anything at all. :)

My understanding is that $45k would be awefully cheap for a 35mm CCD.  I
do wonder if they couldn't just slap a small lens in front  To something
like insert a small 2x magnification lens in front of an 18mm CCD.  That
is a much more reasonable size for a CCD, and in the quantities that these
backs sell for, it wouldn't surprise me if it would still cost $45k.

But, that's just me guessing.  Maybe that camera really was just one big
35mm CCD.

--
Joshua D. Boyd