[geeks] WTB: digital camera

Andrew Sydelko geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 30 19:23:56 CDT 2001

) On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 04:49:30PM -0500, Andrew Sydelko wrote:
) >
) > Yeah, but you can't just hook the camera up and have it
) > show up as another disk... You have to use Canon's software
) > (or the equivalent reverse-engineered unix version) to
) > get at the pictures thru USB.
)
) are you sure about that?  before i got the PCMCIA card and
) CD->PCMCIA adapter for my sparc20 i was using the USB on my
) HP315 (not a bad camera, my wife picked it out.  it's no
) CoolPix, but then it's a LOT cheaper) and i was using the HP
) supplied "picture download" software.  till i realized that
) it really did show up as a disk drive, they just made sure to
) obscure that fact.  deleted the HP software and just started
) using the straight drive instead.  give it a go, you
) might find the same thing.

Yes, I'm sure. It doesn't work as a generic usb-storage
device under linux (or windows).

--andy.