[geeks] postscript

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 30 16:04:42 CDT 2001

Any postscript hackers here?

Back when I was programming on an AlphaMicro, we would do some mailing
tasks by writing code to spit out raw postscript.  Now, one of these
programs would embed an eps file from disk in the postscript output
stream.

Now, many years later, I need to print forms with pictures from a digital
camera in them.  Now, I could easily whip it out in VB, but I don't want
to for obvious reasons.  The solution does need to be done on windows
though (windows only printer for starters).  So, I'm thinking something
simple like a python/wxwindows program that will spit out Postscript to a
file, and execute ghostscript to print.  Image magick could be used for
converting the jpegs to eps files.

So finally, on the third paragraph of this message, I get to the point.  I
forget how to embed an eps file in a postscript stream, and the sites that
pop up on google don't say.  Or they do say, but I'm somehow
misunderstanding them.  Does anyone remeber?  So far I'm just doing a few
simple movetos, linetos, newpaths, and text displaying (findfont,
scalefont, setfont, show, etc).  I know that eps is a subset of
postscript, so I'm guessing that I would do something like open a define
block of some sort, insert the eps, the close the define block, which can
be called later.  I have thinking in postscript, and I see how to create a
procedure.  Is that what I should be doing?  I thought that there was
supposed to be a better way to do this.

--
Joshua D. Boyd