[geeks] MUD needs a name

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 30 00:10:12 CDT 2001

ok, this is indirectly the fault of Jon Katz for pointing me to Rob Byer for
help with VMS stuff.  well, as it would be, Rob ported CircleMUD to VMS.  well.
i'm a MUD addict.  not addicted to playing mind you.  addicted to running,
administrating, and coding for muds.  not area building either.

so...................  can i resist the temptation to run a mud on my newly
setup and configured VAX 4000/400 running OpenVMS 7.2?  hell no.  so it's a
done deal.  i gotta run it.  but i'm gonna need help.  here is the sort of
help i need.

creative non-computer geek stuff.  area building.  creative ideas.  A NAME.
right now it's called VAX-MUD which is kinda stupid.  but it's the best i could
do with my limited creativity.  i'm one of them purly logical types.  don't
do art, don't write, i am a musician, but a very "math oriented" one.  i am
in complete lack of artistic related skills.  i'm not complaining mind you, i
truely enjoy my logical abilities.  but it sorta puts me on the spot for doing
something like this.

so i was thinking.  why just do "another mud" when we can be the geeks we are.
let's do a SunHELP/RESCUE/GEEKS mud.  screw fighting red dragons.  let's fight
a SPARCstation 20.  replace all those mythological references with computer
ones.

so, who wants to be recruited?  no preasure.  sign up.  spend an hour a month
working on it.  i don't care.  i'm not looking to get something "production" up
in any short amount of time or anything.  this is supposed to just be a fun
project to do.

first things first.  let's think up a name that is more creative than VAX-MUD
(shouldn't be too terribly hard)

other than that, hop on when you please: mud.arkham.ws 5000 and email me if you
want to get serious.  knowledge of VMS not needed although very helpful since
you'll stumble around a lot.  although i could probably whip up a couple lines
of text explaining the basics just enough to get you working.  VILE is on the
box, and it's not really VI, but it's about as close as one can expect to get
on a VMS box.  from what i hear emacs has been ported as well, but probably
suffers the same problems as vi does.  other than that the standard editors
are available.

so who's up for it?

-brian (The PDP-11/23's slash *DEMOLISHES* you, boy, that DID hurt.)