[geeks] Kyocera Smartphone 6035 (you know, the palm cellphone) a review

Jonathan Katz geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 27 23:15:08 CDT 2001

Re...

A few folks I know in another forum asked for info on the
above as I just went out and got one.

This is pretty cool; it does what I want it to do-- let me
have an 'endless' contact list w/in the Palm environment
and link those phone numbers to the phone's dialer. Even
more nifty, because I have 100++ contacts I don't want to
scroll through, it has a short-list you can add people to.

It doesn't have a lot of obnoxious ringers. It does
vibrate. Get your minds out of the gutter. Vibrating
phones are good for being discrete or if you get really
lonely.

It has a lot of space for an obnoxious banner. Mine reads
"find /home|cpio -pmd". Without manpages, tell me what
that does :)

It doesn't have obnoxious ringers. It only has *cry* 9.
The touchpoint I used to have had almost two dozen
annoying sounds. I almost always leave my phone on vibrate,
anyway, though. I found a website with obnoxious ringers
you can download. I have a feeling my phone will be
playing The Simpson's theme song really soon. It also has
group ringers-- within a Palm Pilot you can group your
contacts (business, friends, etc.) Each one of those
groups can be associated with a specific ringer. Methinks
"Flight of the Bumblebee" may be in order for my
co-whorkers.

The net-access is not as easy to use as it should be. You
have to dig in from the 'preferences' and choose a
"network" to login to. I set one up for my old in.net
account and my cellphone pretended it was
litterbox.in.net. It has a cellphone version of eudora
and a webbrowser loaded. It shouldn't surprise you that
qualcomm software (eudora) is running on qualcomm
hardware (since they make the CDMA chipset for this.)
http://goats.com looks good on it, but no comic, just text.

Jul 27 20:42:41 corinne in.pop3d[16546]: connect from litterbox.in.net

See, it works for retrieving e-mail!

The phone is Motorolla/Star-Tac like in that it has an
annoying blinking LED on the top of it. Green means home
area, amber means roaming, red means no service. This
means when I leave the phone on the headboard when I go
to sleep at night it will continually blink. That's no
good.

The phone defaults to speakerphone mode. You can change
this, though. Speakerphone lets you abuse the palm while
you're on the phone. You can play games, jot down info,
retrieve info while you're talking, and the person at
the other end isn't the wiser.

I have yet to install the Palm ssh client (I have these
.prc files. Palm goo-roos, how do I put them on my phone?)

-Jon