[geeks] So what is a "Frankenmac"?

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 26 14:44:52 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 02:23:07PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
<lots of interesting stuff that got snipped to keep the S/N high>

I have a friend who works at a local radio station.  Most of the equipment
is much newer than what you described, but still not as automated.  They
have a computer for the station clock and playing promos, but all the
songs are on CDs that get changed between 2 CD players.  Song selection is
a process that happens before the DJ goes on the air.  In involves color
codes, a spinner, and categories.  Something like look at what the next
category is of the formula, spin the spinner for the color, and pull the
front card with that color in that category, look at the song listed, and
go pull it.  Bleh.  They also have MDs for stuff (I think the DJ sound
bed, but don't remeber), and overnight stuff (and other programs) are
recorded to HiFi VHS during the day in the second studio, and just played
from a normal VCR.

Despite all the new gear, it is suprisingly low tech.  Heck, they still
use records for at least one of their shows.

--
Joshua D. Boyd