[geeks] Clerks and Cars

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 26 12:52:45 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 11:52:43AM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:

> Not really at all the same, but I keep dreaming of doing a sleeper Jetta
> someday.  Take an all wheel drive train from an Audi, and drop in a new W8
> engine, and soup up from there.  Leave the exterior completely
> factory.  Well, that's the dream.  I'm probably not enough of a car guy to
> every actually do something so radical.

there is a company in canada that does "beetle upgrades".  they use all VM/Audi
parts, but they make an AWESOME sleeper.  first, quattro all wheel-drive since
you can't really put too much power into front-wheel drive, it's pointless. :)
tweak the suspension and brakes and whatnot of course, but then there is the
engine.

VR6 with twin LKK turbos.

it has more power than a 911 Turbo.  and it looks like a hippie/old lady car
since it's the cute "new beetle"

i'd LOVE to own one.

oh, and btw, it takes these PROFESSIONALS WHO HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE about 80
hours of work time to get it done, so it would take you or me about 6-12 months.

-brian