W2K (Re: [geeks] So what is a "Frankenmac"?

Tugrul Galatali geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 25 04:17:50 CDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> 2-3 days ago, my WinXP RC1 install fried itself.  No biggie, its beta

	Just wondering why you even bothered on a machine you seem to use?

	W2K is the first Microsoft OS that I don't want upgrades to. They
should acknowledge this is the best they will ever do and dissolve the company.

> Today, Amy goes to upgrade the LiveWare! drivers for the SBLive! card.
> This completely fries the install, *again*.

	I've always kept the stock SB Live drivers, am I missing out on
anything.

> 30G HD).  I finally had to take all the covers off the computer case and
> turn off all the BIOS optimizations, just to get win2k to install and
> SP2 to go on without a problem.
> This is a machine, that until this past Sunday, *NEVER* had a problem -
> and I've had it since Feb/March, I think...

	I've never had W2K foul up an installation on a machine that was in
working order. What were the problems like? (mind you, I'm amazed I'm saying
this)
	I've had other problems. Like installing W2K on a machine that just
happened to have ACPI turned off, so W2K decides to do things like not turn
off the computer on shutdown. And of course, the safest way to change the
machine type is reinstalling. WTF?

	I've noticed W2K is a lot more sensitive to overclocking during
install. But this time I've ran mersenne torture tests on my 800->950 for a
good number of days without problems. I will try again :)

	Oh, if anyone comes across a cheap deal to buy multiple G4s, I'd be
up for one :) With 733Mhz G4s at $1700, I wish I could find a 400/450 for
< $1000.

	Tugrul Galatali