[geeks] news servers.

Ron Rosson geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 24 08:39:51 CDT 2001

* Tim Harrison (harrison at timharrison.com) [010724 06:34]:

> Good morning, folks.
>
> Is anyone out there running their own news server?  What kind of disk
> space is in use to carry everything?  What kind of bandwidth
> requirements?  What software are you using?
>
> We currently outsource our news service (an A record to someone else's
> news server), and we have to decide within the next week if we want to
> keep it that way, or bring it inhouse.
>
> Any and all info is appreciated.

I assume you are talking for a large scale of people reading it. Think
of the maintainence that goes into the server. The company I used to
work for used to keep its own news spool and it was time consuming keep
it tweaked and efficient. We decided to outsource and never looked back.

Just FYI

Ron Rosson          			      ... and a UNIX user said ...
The InSaNe One                 			      rm -rf *
insane at oneinsane.net     	            and all was /dev/null and *void()