[geeks] Trade U30 for G3 mac B&W?

geeks at sunhelp.org geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 23 17:42:20 CDT 2001

pwargo at basenji.com writes:

>On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

>> Uhm, I belive "Technical Mac User" is an Oxymoron - so a forum to
>> address the technical Mac community would be not so very entertaining
>> as this group is, but that is just an opinion, not based on anything
>> concrete... Now, that they can get by with occasional support is a

>Oooooooh, them's fightin' words, buddy!  Especially to this ...ahem...
>"non-technical" mac user... :-)

>Hey, one reason you don't see as many tech questions is that the platform
>is well-designed enough that my 72-year-old mother can add RAM, CPU
>upgrades, etc.  Hell, my sister has never opened a computer in her life,
>and she added RAM to her iMac..

All desktop systems suck for hardware upgrades because it's a fucking
ribbon-cable nest crammed into a sardine can. Adding boards to a
VAX-11 is easier than dealing with a modern desktop case.

I'll admit to one exception I've encountered so far, which is ironic
in this context, but anyways: the original Lisa was insanely modular &
slick for dismantling, reassembling, adding cards, etc. Very nice.

-------- David Fischer --------- dave at cca.org --------- www.cca.org --------
-------- If it wasn't for good luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all. -------