[geeks] FreeBSD install problem on ALR server

Kurt Huhn geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 23 16:18:14 CDT 2001

> On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 04:17:06PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> > SPF indicates percentage of protection from suns UV rays (the ones that
burn!)... SPF100 would be, I imagine, completely opaque - no harmful rays
would get through.

Actually, SPF indicates the multiplicatin of safe "sun time".  For instance,
if you have a safe "sun time" of 20 minutes, an SPF of 20 should let you
stay our for 20*20 minutes - or almost 7 hours.  That's theoretical - and I
have yet to see actual test results.  Why do I know this?  I have two young
kids with Irish skin...

FWIW: I would take the SPF rating with a grain of salt.  Humans do this
thing called "sweat" which washes away the sunsreen.  You normally need to
re-apply after a couple hours anyway.

See http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20000605.html for some good resources.

Kurt