[geeks] FreeBSD install problem on ALR server

Mike Nicewonger geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 23 14:21:01 CDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Ken wrote:

> Oh well, I have another SMP PPro box (PR440fx Providence, IIRC) that could probably
> use more... but no biggie, that machine is sitting on the floor of my basement now :^( >
> BTW, what are you using for a graphics card? I have the "original" 1 Meg video card
> in it, but 256 colors is a bit limiting (I am running 1024x768). If I could
> find the right RAM chips to take it to 2 MB onboard (it has two sockets) I'd
> do that and be done with it, but no one seems to sell those chips anymore...

That card is dog slow. What I did to make this Proliant 800 "Workgroup Server"
into a "Workstation" (after all it is in a Desk Pro case) is add the second CPU,
actually remove the single CPU and replace with a matched pair, add 64 MB
o' memory, Matrox Millenium 4 MB card, and a nice reliable old Sound
Blaster 16 Vibra. Plugged my Burner in the SCSI port on the back and tossed a
Red Hate 7.0 load into it.

The only other plans I have are to replace the 4x IDE CD-ROM with a faster one.

I have never been a fan of x86 but I have to admit this is a very pleasant
machine to use as an every day workstation. More than enough power to do what I
need. the Matrox card gives nice snappy screen draws and the rest works like a
champ. Even good performance on compiles and such.

-Mike N