[geeks] FreeBSD install problem on ALR server

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 23 13:48:46 CDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 02:31:46PM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Are you sure about the dual-CPU limitation?
>
> I ask becuase I suspect ALR worked around that limitation in hardware, and their workarounds might require a *very special* BIOS, unabdl to boot some OSs...
>
> I believe you add CPUs to a carrier card, and that each carrier card can handle two CPUs - but you cna have multiple carrier cards in some machines, IIRC.

I read an article explaining the ALR once (in BYTE, I think).  That
article said that there were up to two carrier cards, each for 3
CPUs.  The method of getting the thing to work (apparently the PPro only
natively supported quad processing) was that the 3 CPUs on the card saw
the other card as the fourth CPU.  I'm too lazy to try and confirm this
presently.