X86 (was Re: [geeks] FreeBSD install problem on ALR server)

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 23 13:26:32 CDT 2001

I had no real issues with Solaris x86 (used it to install my first Sun box over the network, didn't have a Sun-compatible CD-ROM for my IPC!), and the Wabi stuff was pretty good too (on a nice fast Pentium, the *translation* software (not *emulation* software like on SPARC) worked fairly well too.

I have bought 4 big-ticket machines for various reasons at various times in my life:

	Mac Plus ($1500 +/-)

	Grey box 486/33dx, incl 14" monitor ($1500 +/-)

	EIS Solaris x86 P/133 machine, incl. 17" iiyama monitor ($1800 +/-)

	Ultra 2/2300, incl. 21" monitor ($3000 +/-)

I still have all of them, except for the Mac (sold it about 18 months after the fact for $1000 incl. printer to a friends dad). They all were considered good values at the time.

Nowadays, I try and limit my machines to less than $500 (like the Ultra 30!)...

Ken