[geeks] New toy!

Brian Hechinger geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 20 13:09:34 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 11:40:46AM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Wasn't Mr. Cutler (of Win NT fame) responsible for much of VMS (at least a very senior architect of VMS)? I seem to recall that as the MS party line when Win NT project started...

i've never been much of a follower of VMS.  yeah, i heard of it, yeah i had a
MAIL account on one once, but never used it more than that.  i've been mostly
stuck in unix and mainframe land.  i'm only now starting to play with it in any
serious way.  i'm a complete shmuck, i shoulda done this years ago, VMS rules.

figures, i've got perfect timing, Compaq sells off the alpha and pretty much
has torqued off the entire VMS crowd (i'm subscribed to info-vax and have since
had to start putting quite a few procmail filters in to get some of those
threads out of my mailbox) and so the death of VMS is a strong possability.
and either way i'm not interested in running ANY os on intel hardware till
they stop acting like morons which i don't see happening anytime soon.

why oh why did digital have to go out of business.

-brian (mourns the loss of an excellent company)