[geeks] RE: [the processor speed wars...]

Ken Hansen geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 20 12:25:49 CDT 2001

Well, my point was that after a certain speed, the benefit is almost non-existant (for the general user).

Sure, faster is better, but honestly, how often do folks sit around complaining about how slow their 300 UltraSPARC system is? or their 500 MHz Celeron *BSD workstaion is?

I can remember line editing on a TTY, and that was slow...

(I am *still* scared by my years with TRS-80s - everytime I go to hit the backspace key, I check that I do not have th shift key down - more than once I lost an entire line of text by making that mistake!)

With a reasonably modern video card and a PII/400 or up, you will probably not notice *any* screen refreshes/redraws under typical use (sure, you could run 50 ico sessions and slow down the display ;^)...

Did I say stop making faster CPUs? No. I was only commenting on the real value of anything significantly faster than a PII/500 or so for *most* users.

I doubt anyone here (by the simple virtue of *being here*) is considered a "typical" user...

Ken