[geeks] T H E??b r i Q

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 19 15:18:36 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 03:56:17PM -0400, Big Endian wrote:
> I don't believe 5.3 came with OPEN gl.  If I remember correctly then
> 5.3 uses IRIS gl.  Almost the same but lots of wierdness.  6.2 comes
> with OpenGL 1.1  6.5 comes with the latest(1.2).

The Xsgi man page from 1991 refers to Xsgi running on either Irix 5 or 4,
and it make more than one reference to OpenGL (and numerous references to
IrisGL).  So, OpenGL definately existed during the Irix 5.x days.

Further searching seems to indicate that OpenGL 1.0 came with Irix 5.3.  I
wonder how different 1.0 is from 1.1.  Making the switch from 1.2 back to
1.1 wasn't hard.  The only difference I saw were that some calls had a EXT
in them, which they didn't in 1.2.  Oh well, the 5.3 man pages will
probably be enough to adapt backwards.

--
Joshua D. Boyd