[geeks] T H E??b r i Q

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Jul 19 14:53:18 CDT 2001

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 02:27:02PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> but what good is hardware acceleration if you don't have enough ram to hold
> everything?  disks are SLOW and so if you can't keep everything in fast RAM
> then what's the point?  or is my lack of understanding of this field so great
> that i can't just apply common sense to it?

See, the gimp is the main time I don't have enough ram to hold
everything.  Loading a single 20meg model doesn't stress the memory nearly
as much as the gimp is, but it will choke most video cards, not to mention
CPU renderers.

>From the limited profiling I've done, the only things that would benifit
alot from more memory would be the gimp, and things that would benifit
from cacheing disk operations over a network, like most software builds
(/usr/local/src is mapped over the network because I don't have enough
space for it locally.  If more object files would be cached to memory
instead of beiung written over the network just to be reread, things would
be much faster).

> maybe i could be convinced to get 5.3 on the PI 4d and see.  although i'm
> missing a monitor and keyboard for it, i can still install headless, and i
> should be able to tell you what version it's got?

> you'd have to help me out, i'm NOT and IRIX user.

I've used IRIX only as a user, unfortunatly.  As soon as Dave gets back to
me, I should have a date to go build a 4D for myself, at which time I
should know considerably more.  Might be as early as Saturday.

--
Joshua D. Boyd