[geeks] OS X (was: the briq)

Bill Bradford geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 18 23:11:54 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:14:31PM -0500, Hatle, Steven J. wrote:
> Lest you think I'm an Apple apologist, I gave up on them around System 8
> because I hated MacOS (well, I did drive Newtons until recently) but I'm
> back now- and I'm fired up!

I used to *hate* Macs, after years of being "the computer guy" in
high school.. started out on a Classic with *dual floppies*. 8-)
*swap* *swap* *swap* etc.  Then, I quit using them (other than minor
DTP for the campus newspaper) until a couple years ago.

In '99, I bought an iMac, and *loved* it - the fast CPU and revised
OS (this was 9.04 I beleive) was *amazing*.  I ended up getting rid of
it because I hated the small screen (all my other boxes were Suns,
and had 20"s, at least).

About six months ago, a client of mine sent me a PowerMac 7600
(200Mhz, 48meg) to try to "convert" me back to the "dark side". 8-)
I've since upgraded that box (last week) to G3/400Mhz, 305meg
RAM, put a PCI IDE card in it (and a 20gig IDE drive), a 21" Sun
monitor, and have a nice 16meg ATI video card for it on the way.
I cant wait to get OS X running and then for the HP ScanJet 7450C
drivers to come out; I may completely get rid of my PC at that
point (and eventually "forklift upgrade" to a G3 B&W or a G4 of
some kind).

Bill

--
Bill Bradford