[geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] Re: [geeks] T H E  b r i Q

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 18 19:06:40 CDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 05:07:39PM -0500, ward at zilla.nu wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 06:02:43PM -0400, joshua d boyd wrote:
>
> > That still begs the question, aren't G4s nearly as good as P4s, since you
> > can get a G4 in more forms than a Mac.  Say the Briq that started the
>
> G4s are generally a little slower than P4s unless you use AltiVec-enabled
> applications.  If you have AltiVec-enabled apps, a G4 is a lot faster.

That is, of course, assuming that you are talking about the Motorola
G4.  I rather suspect that the Briq might use an IBM G4, which doesn't
have Altivec.  But, I could be wrong.  It doesn't matter since either G4
is so much cheaper than a P4 that manufactures could easily SMP them
(which they won't but we could dream).

--
Joshua D. Boyd