[geeks] New toy!

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 18 05:57:16 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 12:03:49PM -0400, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 01:24:46PM +0100, David Cantrell wrote:
> >
> > Not sure what OS - I'd like to try one of the 'traditional' PDP OSen, but
> > failing that, 2.11 BSD.
>
> i've got RT-11 and RSTS, don't have RSX-11 though (that's what i really want
> to run)

I don't really know anything about the differences.  From what I gather,
RSX-11 was the most advanced.  My lack of a tape drive is going to make
OS installation a pain.

> > Getting ethernet for it would be great, but I suspect that those boards
> > are going to be rare as rocking horse shit.  SCSI would be even cooler,
>
> ethernet is far easier to find than SCSI.  although i really need to start
> looking for some ethernet cards, need two, one for the 11/23+ and one for the
> 11/83

I'll have a look around, and on epay if necesary.  I could do with the
'skins' for it too - mine spent all its life rackmounted and is missing
the plastic skin.  It's also missing most of the front cover.  The small
part of it surrounding the panel buttons is present but damaged.

> > especially if I'm going to be giving people accounts on it.  The RD-52A
> > isn't exactly going to provide lots of elbow-room for people testing
> > their latest magnum opus.
>
> disk space is always a good thing. :)  have you considered ESDI?  if you look
> around you should very easily be able to find a couple ESDI drives and a QBus
> ESDI controller.

Hrrrm.  Perhaps.

Bill, didn't you mention that you had a PDP mailing list running on sunhelp?

Do not be afraid of cooking, as your ingredients will know and misbehave
   -- Fergus Henderson