[geeks] vmstat modification

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 17 20:28:45 CDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 08:04:03PM -0400, dave at cca.org wrote:
> >I actually know a good place to get symbolics machines.  It just that this
> >place wants a lot of money for the machines (more than a used Ultra 5
> >would cost), and I don't have the kinda cash for anything, let alone
> >historical machines.
>
> Yeesh. That's strange. 36xx series? What kinda cash?

> They are a bit of a rarity, but stick it out, you should run across
> a free one once a year or so.

Yeah, from memory, 3650 was $600 (not including console).  Mac Ivory II
was $600 (+200 for mac, +200 for helpful accessories, like proper keyboard
and mouse).  All of this is with some sorta warranty and some
support.  Unsupported, a UX400 is something like $750.  And, the high
end, a nicely outfitted 1200 (not UX, the deskside one), was several
grand.  Oh, this is straight from Symbolics, BTW.  But don't quote those
prices as from me since I didn't look up the quote I got, and that quote
was from 6+ monthes ago.

As to a free (or cheap), I heard there was this guy in Laurel who sold a
bunch of MacIvoryIIs for like $100 apiece.  Other than that, I haven't
heard/seen any of them go in places I could get them (shipping a 3600 from
LA is not an option for me, even if it is free.  I'm not sure that a 3650
would be feasible from that distance either).  Pretty much, I hoping for
something cheap to someday pop up withing 3-5 hours from me.  Weren't
these things used for political analysis once?

Anyway, in case anyone cares, the best site I could find for the things is
http://kogs-www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~moeller/symbolics-info/symbolics.html

--
Joshua D. Boyd