[geeks] Foundry vs. LocalDirector

James Fogg geeks at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 17 09:04:43 CDT 2001

I like the RND Web Server Directors too, but ours are showing the limits of
their performance (billiions and billions served from here). Even the cheapest
old used ones would work better than you expect for your purpose (unless you
have some kind of gigabit pr0n operation we don't know about :=).

They can serve multiple farms, multiple servers in a farm and failover to
another local WSD and the whole group of farms can fail over to another site
that has more WSD's. The more recent models can even do a kind of "global
proximity balancing" where the requestor is served from the site closest to him
(they communicate among themselves rapidly to determine which site is closest
to the requestor).

We use all these features and find the boxen attractive. They also have
newer/faster/better/bigger models that we should upgrade to so we can handle
our traffic. Unfortunately, our company doesn't have a history of selling
obsolete equipment (we still have stacks of SS4's and SS5's in the basement).
We have old WSD's too, but I don't know if I can get the company to sell them.

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, THOU SPAKE:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 09:30:00PM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> > Pros/Cons (other than the "LD is just a PC" argument).
> > I need loadbalancing/failover between two web servers,
> > and failover between load balancers if possible...
>
> I really like the RND RADWare boxes.  A lot.
>
> Reagen
	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com

If you can read this e-mail, Thank a Network Engineer!