[geeks] ive been converted

Nick Kociuk geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 16 16:54:32 CDT 2001

> Nick wrote:
> > i worked as an intern for a company that made those.  30gig media in
12"
> > form-factor, i think, and the media was something like $1k per disc.
> > single-disc drive retails for about $30k, though almost all their
customers
> > buy in quantity, so they pay much less.  though the jukeboxes i saw
only
> > held about 10 discs at a time (not quite 20k).  i think if you
wanted more,
> > you just bought another drive and hooked it up to your scsi card.
fast wide
> > differential scsi.  very cool product, and a cool company to work
for, too.

> Cool, so those wacky co-workers of mine *weren't* pulling my leg with
that
> story! They also hinted that company only had about 5 or 6 real
employees?

not quite that small.  last year when i was there, i think there were
about 15-20 employees in the whole R&D/engineering dept.  and maybe
about 30 or so management/production staff.  but they have expanded, so
about 5 years ago, there probably weren't too many more than 20-25 total
employees.