[geeks] vmstat modification

William S. geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 16 11:44:49 CDT 2001

Dave,

Actually, you were probably my inspiration. I was
looking at your web site and noticed the minimal
desktop you had on the screenshot. I too am striving
to get things down to a simple display within fvwm2. I
hate to waste memory on needless decoration and prefer
text based applications rather than graphics.

I have a P166MMX with a 17" monitor running on a 2.4
Linux kernel on a Debian (unstable) release. I also
have 8 Apollo's I am preparing to set up as a cluster
under the Domain OS if they all work (just got 7 of
them last week).

Now back to vmstat:

For some reason the awk doesn't want to cooperate. I
downloaded the source code for vmstat which is
included withing the procpu Debian package. It is
"Version: 0.99, last modified 15 January 94". I don't
seem to be able to compile it (getting several
"undefined references". I am not familiar with C
enough to get it to work at this time. My strategy was
to edit some of the printf functions so that that I
could have the ones I wanted which in this case were :
" SI SO US SY ID ".

I guess I will hold back until I can figure it out
unless there is another way to do it now.

Bill
Amsterdam, NL