[geeks] Re: Alcohol

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 13 15:46:51 CDT 2001

[replies to geeks only if you please]

Bjorn Ramqvist <brt at osk.sema.se> wrote to rescue:

> No. A damn fine calm(?) party evening with the buddies must be with a
> bottle of Drumguish, a real scottish single malt whiskey...

There's not many things that get me into spelling-pedant mode, but mis-
spelling the drink of the gods is on of them.  Scotch is WHISKY without
an e.  The Irish and Americans make WHISKEY with an e.

This reminds me, I am a member of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society.  We
have Members' Rooms in central London, with a spectacularly well-
stocked whisky bar.  Would any UK-based rescuers (or geeks) care for
a wee dram one evening?

> If it's an ordinary party occasion (which happends every weekend?),
> homebrewed liquor and Coke is the way to go. :-)

No, no, a thousand times no.  Every single thing I have ever heard about
Scandinavian homebrewed spirits makes my teeth curl :-)

I am drinking a perfectly lovely* home brewed cider right now.  Made with
the last of last year's apples, and there's only a couple of gallons left.
Will have to gather more windfalls this autumn to keep me going for a
full year.  When the cider's gone (next weekend, probably) I'll have to
switch to my homebrewed mead.  Haven't made it for some years, so hopefully
this batch will be OK [crosses fingers]

* and also tooth-curlingly strong.  I finished it with champagne yeast.

      If you're *really* a Goth, where were you when we sacked Rome?
                                          -- Mr. Anonymous T. Shirt