[geeks] Appletalk anyone?

Joshua D. Boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 8 14:12:38 CDT 2001

You say FTP won't sufice.  But, if you just want to serve MP3s, I've found
that HTTP works pretty well.  I have a cgi script that automatically
generates and serves up m3u (playlist files) which winamp, XMMS, Windows
Media Player, FreeAmp, etc, open, and then they open the songs in the
playlist.  The playlist is just a bunch lines like:

c:\mymusi~1\song1.mp3
http://www/song2.mp3

and so on.  It works pretty nicely.

Now, getting MP3s onto the server requires FTP currently.  In theory, a
 multipart PUT through the http server would work, but I haven't gotten
around to writing such code.

Now, in my case, I should be able to use samba, and samba works fine with
my old notebook.  But for some reason, non of the other windows machines
around here get along with it.  I don't have a whole lotta reason to
investigate though.

--
Joshua Boyd