[geeks] 8mm projector

James geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Jul 8 08:16:11 CDT 2001

I have played with 8mm before (have 3 projectors).
Some possible features?
1) Sound (not before 1970 or so).
2) Dual media (8mm and super8) - very common on newer projectors
3) Self threading (very handy)
4) auto loop adjusting (very common on newer models)
5) built-in takeup reel (no biggie, but some had it)

Save yourself much trouble and check the lamp number. Call a photo dealer
and check for lamp availablity (unless you are at a yard sale and they
only want $4.00 for the thing). Many lamps are no longer in production
(and yes, they get hot, so no fingerprints on the envelope). Also ask the
dealer for a price on a lamp. Have the air sickness bag ready (some run
$75.00 and most aren't cheaper than $25.00). Lamp life is usually very
short (10 to 50 hours).

If your media is from the 50's and early 60's it will be 8mm. I forget how
to tell the difference, but super8 will have a larger frame size and
different sprocket holes. Oh wait... I seem to recall that super8 only has
a sprocket track on one side. I might be wrong, or that may mean it has
an audio track.

And no, you cannot freeze film for very long, the film will melt. Some
projectors have slow motion and momentary freeze frame.

Many films from the 50's were spliced onto much larger reels (say 8 inches
or so). The projectors with built-in takeup reels may not accomodate this
much film. The splicing was a service offered by photo processors.

Also, I sometimes find 8mm and super8 splicer/editors. I used to have one.
They make a cool geek toy (kinda big though). If you're into dead media,
you can find 8mm and super8 cameras dirt cheap (I have a few). The Minox
is a covetted model (super small 8mm big-featured camera that cost a
mint back in the day).

	 James D. Fogg, Network Engineer
	Vicinity Corporation - Lebanon, NH

     DESK (603) 442-1751 - CELL (603) 252-1864
     PAGER (802) 742-0280 - HOME (603) 526-7729
            EMAIL jfogg at vicinity.com

If you can read this e-mail, Thank a Network Engineer!