[geeks] Install on one Ultra, use on another?

Peter L. Wargo geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 6 15:58:30 CDT 2001

On Fri, 6 Jul 2001, Bill Bradford wrote:

> Theoretically, if I do an install here on my SB100, do a "touch /reconfigure"
> before I shut it down, and then make sure to do a "boot -r" when I drop it
> into the other machine, that should work, right?  They're both UltraSPARC
> systems running at 64bit, altho one is a IIi and one is a IIe... The
> reconfigure should take care of any device links, etc, I *think*.

Well, basenji.com just went from a U1/170E to a U2 in that manner, no
problems.  Now, You would think that any Ultra 1 would work w/any other,
but if you go from a non-"E" to an "E" the above procedure will not work.
Why??  Well, different SCSI controllers, Ethernet chips, etc.

So, would they interchange in your case?  Dunno.  I would check device
trees *very* carefully...

_pete