[geeks] I think I need to change my pants... ;^)

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 23 07:27:03 CST 2001

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 11:59:10PM -0500, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 23, 2001 at 10:44:00AM +0000, Ken Hansen wrote:
> > I got my Ti PowerBook today.

Welcome to the Apple Club, where all lovers of Shiney Things gravitate.

> > Went sort of low-end though - decided I could live with the 550 MHz CPU, 256
> > Meg RAM, 20 Gig HD, DVD/CD-RW drive, but that screen.
>
> Err, where is the low end in that?

It'sa bit lacking in memory :-)

For OS X, I've found that 512Mb is the sweet spot.  It *really* needs that
much for all the silly transparency effects.  There's a good article
explaining it on Ars Technica.

I bought an ibook recently.  600MHz G3.  It was fine with 128Mb in OS 9,
but a bit of a dog in OS X.  I added another half a gig, taking it to
640Mb, and it runs very nicely.  I also have 512Mb in my imac.  Oddly, the
imac, despite having the same CPU, feels a *lot* slower.  No idea why.

  Some people, when confronted with a problem, think ``I know, I'll use
  regular expressions.'' Now they have two problems.        -- jwz