[geeks] back to MacOS X

D.A. Muran-de Assereto geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 17 19:43:58 CST 2001

> [ On Monday, December 17, 2001 at 17:38:03 (-0600), Shawn Wallbridge wrote: ]
>> Subject: RE: [geeks] back to MacOS X
>>
>> Actually NT can convert from FAT to NTFS at any time. I just realized one of
>> our workstations had a FAT partition and converted it to NTFS, I installed
>> Win2K a year ago.
>
> At what cost?
>
> I.e. if you copy a FAT filesystem to an NTFS filesystem, and then
> convert the latter into an NTFS filesystem, is anything lost (or gained :-)?
>
> I'd be completely stunned if the result were bit-for-bit identical!
I've done this several times, and the results are very good. Of course the
filesystems are not identical; there's a lot more file metadata in NTFS than
there is in FAT. NTFS2 has even more than NTFS1.
Never lost any data at all, though.

I'd like it if the auditing features of NTFS were ported to UFS. NTFS is
much more flexible in this area than any UNIX filesystem I've ever seen (but
I've never messed with a B2 system). Unfortunately, this comes at a cost in
I/O speed, but for folks who have to do anal filesystem auditing, it's a
blessing.

Dave Muran-de Assereto