[geeks] new lists? 8-)

Amy geeks at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 13 13:39:47 CST 2001

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 01:54:12PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > On December 13, Amy wrote:
> > > dont get me wrong, we've made our compromises. if he gets a cray then i'm
> > > getting a viking range.
> >
> >   What is a viking range?  If you really want one, I can hook Bill up
> > with a Cray. :-)
>
> They are the high end yuppie model of stove.  Philip Greenspun has some
> comments about them in his materialism section:

um, no offense, but once you cook on one, you wont go back to a ge or the
ilk. yes the stainless is a bitch to clean but thats why god invented sos
pads and elbow grease. lord knows cleaning stainless is easier than shit
thats been baked on an enamel coated rangetop.

also, a lot of folks buy the ranges for looks--they dont actually cook on
them. thats where the yuppie part comes in. there's a very big difference
between range buyers who cook vs. those who are going for a look. i buy
them because they're workhorses that dont break, i can cook thanksgiving meals
without having to use two ranges and double ovens, and i can use large
stock pots and pans on them to cook for 100 people if needs be.

the heat factor is big but if youre gonna buy a 6000 dollar stove you're
foolish to expect to put in a 100 dollar cheapie vent hood. the heat
factor to me is nonexistent...if heat mattered to me i wouldnt live in texas,
after all.

one person made the big mistake of calling me a yuppie cook. once. i
cooked dinner for them. they apologized profusely and asked for leftovers
the next day.

--a