[geeks] Hrm. Suspicious

John Duksta geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 12 06:25:19 CST 2001

At 07:03 PM 12/11/2001 -0500, Ken Hansen wrote:
>I suspect (but do not know,
>I have never approached the $10K mark for a cash transaction involving a
>bank or retail outlet) that there is a provision for explaining the
>transaction, and that it is taken at face value.

Yes, there is.

When I was in college, I worked at one of the bookstores that
served the campus (text and trade books). At the beginning of
each semester we would be depositing *huge* amounts of cash
due to students paying for 100's of dollars worth of textbooks
in cash. I got to go on a few bank runs with the manager
and when we were depositing amounts over the $10K mark, the
teller would have us fill out a form explaining the reason for
the large quantity of cash. AFAIK, it was never questioned.

-john