[geeks] Starshine 3

Fogg, James geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 7 10:08:00 CST 2001

I just learned of a satellite called Starshine 3. Its a microsat of 1 meter
in diameter (its a sphere). It has many reflective mirrors and 31 laser
retro-reflectors.

I have some greott (sp?) 5mW laser tubes and supplies. I was wondering if
that would be enough power to get a reasonably coherent beam reflected back
to earth and still see it? What would be the chances of "catching" the bird
with a laser and some amateur coordinates. It orbits at about 472km.

Has anyone ever done something like this? Any ideas?