[geeks] Which Dell Latitude notebook?

Kurt Mosiejczuk geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 3 09:23:36 CST 2001

On Sun, 2 Dec 2001, Mike Nicewonger wrote:

> Frankly I would not reccomend a Dell. they are very weakly built. Flimsey
> even. You will be much better off with a ThinkPad or a Toshiba.

> I have a lot of experince with repair of laptops and would not ever reccomend a
> Dell.

I'm going to weigh in here with Mike.  My work switched recently from an
all-thinkpad fleet to using Dell's (well, still switching over).  I like
the fact that I have 3x the HD space and 4x the memory, but the construction
on the Dell is NOT as good.  And of the ~40 laptops they've rolled out,
7 or 8 have had hard drive failures.

They went with Dell because they are cheaper and don't ever change the
internals of a model (or at least not for x months).  So installs are
just done using ghost now.

I miss my Thinkpad 600e, that's why I have one on it's way =)

--Kurt