[geeks] News server access

joshua d boyd geeks at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 13 11:57:55 CDT 2001

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 12:49:09PM -0400, s at avoidant.org wrote:
> David Cantrell wrote:
>
> > > I guess [PPPoE] isn't that bad.  Most people seem to be moving to it.  For one
> > > thing, it is probably the best way (or so I'm told) to keep people from
> > > grabbing multiple IPs (without tieing service to a MAC, which sucks even
> > > more).
>

> What do you mean grabbing multiple IPs? They give me statics and have no
> DHCP server  running on my subnet as far as I can tell. WHy would anyone
> do it otherwise? (I'm being serious - why?)

Numerous DSL (Jack Flash being a local one) and cable providers use DHCP,
and have trouble with people connecting multiple machines to the router
and thus getting more than 1 IP.  Some of them get around this by keying
the router to only respond to one specific MAC.  Others get around by
switching to PPPoE.  What better choices exist, I know not what.

> > > I do hate that Verizon advertises as always being on.  They are not always
> > > on.  I frequently have to go disconnect then redial.
>
> Dial what?

Good question.  All I know is that they use a dialer, apparently with no
phone number.  However, if a dialer is used, then I consider it fair to
use the word redial.

> Do what once? I'm missing something here...

Reconnect to the DSL provider.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
http://www.cs.millersville.edu/~jdboyd/