[geeks] Avoiding VAT on shipping items to the UK?

David Cantrell geeks at sunhelp.org
Wed Apr 25 03:49:55 CDT 2001

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 12:05:34AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:

> I'm about to ship a large software bundle to a guy in the
> UK; any tips on avoiding large customs valuations / VAT?

Declare the total value to be less than the threshold (UKP17, I think;
  may be problematic if you need to insure the shipment);
Declare it as a non-VATtable item like books (dodgy, cos customs may
  open it);
Split it into several smaller shipments (maybe expensive);
Send it over to Europe in someone's personal baggage then ship to him from
  there (UK customs will assume VAT was paid in the originating country);
Use an intermediary in the IoM or Channel Islands, which are, I believe,
  VAT-free but part of .uk for all intents and purposes;

Or, just send it and hope.  They can't check every package, so they
concentrate on those which are most likely to contain taxable items like
CDs, videos and electrical goods.  That means checking packages which
look like they come from online retailers.  To be honest, that's your
best option.

and FYI, approximately the same will apply to any other EU country.

--
David Cantrell, not condoning any of this behaviour, oh no, not at all

     Rip, Mix, Burn, unless you're using our latest and greatest
       operating system which we couldn't be arsed to complete