[geeks] Re: 48v

James Fogg geeks at sunhelp.org
Fri Apr 20 14:36:34 CDT 2001

For the unfamiliar....
It began with the Telco's. The phone system runs on negative 48v DC. Because of
this, telco equipment centers (POPs, etc.) have copious quantities of -48vDC
available from truly uninteruptable sources (huge lead-acid battery banks, not
finicky inefficient dc-ac inverters). The current is "reversed" because it
prevents corrosion (specifically, galvanic action) on the lines (that is what
the trickle sealing current is on your copper digital circuits). High end
servers and network equipment frequently gets installed in such centers, so
they make -48v supplies for the purpose.

If you ever have the pleasure of working in such an environment, pay attention.
The -48v will hurt worse than 110v AC. Also, the red = + / black = - color code
most people learned doesn't apply, its reversed (black doesn't actually equal
negative, it equals "return" (I think), so therefore the color code is actually
correct in a Telco facility). In some facilities, they use red and green.

If your powersource (or your digital circuit) is called "wet-span", it is